Inside the mind of a master procrastinator
Tim Urban talks in this video about procrastinators and how there are 3 different ideas that work either together or not together in your head. These are the:
Rational Decision-Maker - The voice in your head that tells you the perfect times to be productive through each day.
Gratification Monkey - The voice that thinks only for the present and only wants you to do easy, fun activities.
The Panic Monster - The dormant voice that goes crazy when a deadline is approaching faster than you can work.
Tim Urban talks about how the Rational Decision-Maker will be over powered in his brain by the Gratification Monkey and always leaves the hard, not very entertaining but important things till later and the consequences of this.
There are two types of Panic Monster which are firstly when a deadline comes up in which you cram all your work into a few days and secondly were you have no deadlines and you become a spectator in your own life and you start panicking about the lack of progression in your life. This is the idea of a long-term procrastinator and the downfall of letting the Gratification Monkey taking over your life.
So in this video I agree with the statement that everyone is a type of procrastinator and I feel that I am very similar to Tim Urban in they I can stay on track and evenly spread work out over a longer period of time. What I would say is that he doesn't talk about the idea of using the Gratification Monkey as a way to trick your brain into positive reinforcement by using it when you have set a completed a small task.
Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7oStGLkU
Rational Decision-Maker - The voice in your head that tells you the perfect times to be productive through each day.
Gratification Monkey - The voice that thinks only for the present and only wants you to do easy, fun activities.
The Panic Monster - The dormant voice that goes crazy when a deadline is approaching faster than you can work.
Tim Urban talks about how the Rational Decision-Maker will be over powered in his brain by the Gratification Monkey and always leaves the hard, not very entertaining but important things till later and the consequences of this.
There are two types of Panic Monster which are firstly when a deadline comes up in which you cram all your work into a few days and secondly were you have no deadlines and you become a spectator in your own life and you start panicking about the lack of progression in your life. This is the idea of a long-term procrastinator and the downfall of letting the Gratification Monkey taking over your life.
So in this video I agree with the statement that everyone is a type of procrastinator and I feel that I am very similar to Tim Urban in they I can stay on track and evenly spread work out over a longer period of time. What I would say is that he doesn't talk about the idea of using the Gratification Monkey as a way to trick your brain into positive reinforcement by using it when you have set a completed a small task.
Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7oStGLkU
Comments
Post a Comment