What Motivates Us

So after watching the video "RSA Animate: Drive: The surprising truth about what motivates us" we find out how motivators work when we use Mechanical Skills and Cognitive skills, also more importantly when they stop working. In the video we find out that humans like to do things themselves weather they gain money, friends or neither, we like to become master of something mainly for fun.

When in a work environment motivation can come in the for of money and for the quality of work you provide. With mechanical skills the more money as a motivator provided better quality of work where as with cognitive skill based work the top amount of money didn't necessarily provide a better quality of work. What they actually found was people in there own time was creating things that could be very useful but instead giving the ideas away. 

A company called Atlassian (software development company) now uses one day every quarter to let there staff create something they want to create with anyone they want and all they need to do is bring something to the table in a 24 hour span. This led to people creating fix's for bugs, bring new product ideas into the business that may not have been thought of and ideas that wouldn't have been thought of.

After watching and thinking about what motivates me I think I have found a answer. I find motivation not to be a massive factor in my work as I don't find the intricate parts fun. Even when motivated to be productive I most times have fallen out of it because I don't follow through the feeling. I find motivation to be a hindrance just because its there for a little while and then it goes. What I find myself looking into is more of a routine and the reason why is once you start organising your day into activities and start consistently doing that on a day to day bases, you won't to ruin that streak allowing you to do more with your time weather you are motivated or not. 


Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc
   

Comments

Popular Posts